Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"How could a man be so strong..... yet so tender?"

S o I spent quite a bit of time struggling, trying to figure out how to present the material I'd collected for "love". I began by collaging a bunch of the images from the romance novels, ripping out the pages, and scanning and printing out images from the front covers. I ended up with several large sheets of images that looked like this:



So my grand vision at this point wasn't to display the collages on the wall as images, I was quite excited about making them into a lantern of sorts, because they glowed quite nicely. This is the above image, with a light behind it:
I think that looks pretty cool. I had several sheets of these, and despite the fact they looked great lit-up, I couldn't really figure out how to construct said lantern, or how to present what I had....
Also, a lantern wouldn't really mean very much to the subject matter.
 So, I became a bit disheartened.
However, while doing a course reading, I came across this:


It's a pattern for a zeotrope from the graphic novel "Jimmy Corrigan, the smartest boy in the world". I scanned it, printed it out and attempted to make it with some success (it's very tiny).
I then decided to convert my Harlequin Romance Collages into the shapes from this design, to create the schematics for a Harlequin-love zeotrope. They look like this:

Hopefully, once I scan in all those little pieces (in a layout similar to the original pattern), they will be able to be printed out, and crafted into little love zeotropes for any and all to enjoy. My one regret is that lovely glowing paper aspect of the collages won't get explored, and it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity...
I have yet to actually draw the moving image, which is the centerpiece of the contraption... I hope to get on that. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment